Milestones and Hurdles

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Hampton's Not So Smooth Arrival

Well, our sweet little Hampton made her debut into the world.... with some complications. This is something I did not prepare for, nor did we expect. This has been an ideal pregnancy so I never imagined we would find ourselves back at the NICU at MCA Arlington.


Hampton Malone Hughey on Bubble C-Pap, poor darlin!
After the c-section, Hampton was working too hard to breathe and keep her oxygen levels so the nurses took her to the NICU while my amazing doctor finished my surgery. We were hoping and praying she would only spend a few hours in the NICU, but she continued to struggle breathing. That's when the neonatologist decided to put her on bubble c-pap to keep her little lungs inflated. He also ordered x-rays and blood gases to monitor her lung situation. At this point, Dr. Riley believes she has fluid on her lungs from taking a big gulp of amniotic fluid before or during labor. Normally during regular labor that gets squeezed out as the baby exits the birth canal, but this does not happen in c-sections so.... there can be complications... as in Hampton's case. Now, the Dr. tells us there could be other more serious reasons for her breathing issues, but we are all hopeful she is just having trouble breathing because of the fluid on her lungs making it difficult. I sound sane right now, but I have been boo-hooing all night.

I just hope and pray Hampton is as strong as Ford and Hayden. I have only seen her twice because of the c-section and having to recover myself which makes it hard on me emotionally! Trey has seen her several times and is so optimistic and faithful. I need more of him in me. I WORRY, WORRY, WORRY! She is such a big, beautiful baby that I never would have guessed the NICU would even enter into the picture. She came into this world weighing 7 pounds 14 ounces and 20 1/2 inches long.... so you'd think her lungs would be mature enough? Of course, I feel like this is my fault that I some how couldn't protect her longer so that this would not happen. We had the c-section at 38 weeks so I started to feel bad for wanting to have her now instead of at 40 weeks, but my doctor informed me yesterday that I had already dilated to a 3 so I was about to be in active labor.


Thank you so much for your prayers once again! Please keep her on your prayer list... we already love her so much and want her to have the same resolve and strength of her brothers, Ford and Hayden.

Love,
Dana, Trey, Ford, Hayden and Hampton

No comments:

Picture Worth A Thousand Words

Picture Worth A Thousand Words

Proud Parents

Proud Parents

Proud Mommy

Proud Mommy

Proud Papa

Proud Papa

Pics of Ford

Pics of Ford

Pics of Hayden

Pics of Hayden