Milestones and Hurdles

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

More Miracle Milestones by Ford and Hayden

We have big news on the Ford front! He went to the conventional ventilator on Tuesday. After having a pretty good weekend on the oscillator ventilator, our neonatologist decided to give him a shot on the conventional venitlator. Dr. Lynch was on all weekend with the boys so she was able to follow Ford and Hayden closely. We were excited, but a little nervous about Ford making the big move considering his history of having a great day, then a crazy one the next.

Ford surprised us all and did pretty well on the conventional ventilator. He also went up on his feeds and that's big news because just last week he wasn't even on breast milk feeds.

As for Hayden, he has been quietly plugging along on the conventional vent. He had kind of reached a plateau where he wasn't being weaned on his settings or having to go up. So Dr. Lynch has decided day by day, she is going to try and slowly wean him so he will be doing more of the breathing on his own. Oh, and did I mention... Hayden is completely on his mommy's milk no more lipids or TPN.

While the boys were doing so well... we decided to have a Valentine's dinner with my sweet mother in law and 2 sister in laws before heading back up to the hospital. We were nearing the end of our meal when... I started not to feel right. I will spare you all of the horrible details, but I ended up back in the hospital last night. I was put on a medication to hopefully fix the problem and of course some pain medication to handle all of the cramping I was dealing with. We were also waiting to see how I responded to the medication before Dr. Seligman decided whether I needed surgery this morning. Well, I avoided the surgery... was released from the hospital late this morning and will head back to the doctor tomorrow to see if I am better and have completely avoided surgery :). The dear Lord is teaching me true patience right now and I am learning how strong Trey and I really are.

Tonight my pain was taken away though... I was finally able to hold my sweet Ford. It's what they call Kangaroo care... when the baby's skin is up against your skin. It is a true healing experience both for them and you. Ford is a bit of a wild man by nature. He goes crazy when his diaper is wet, when you change him, or if he doesn't like the side he is sleeping on... but he was completely calmed in mommy's arms. The feeling, I assure you was mutual. For about 30 minutes, Ford was the calmest the nurses had seen him without some sedation... he just needed to hear mommy's heartbeat again and to be close again. It is the most cherished and amazing experience to hold our babies and to know our touch is doing them good. At the same time, Daddy was able to hold little Hayden too. Of course, the handsome little one loved resting on his daddy's chest. He had his dark sea blue eyes wide open... taking in the sight of his daddy. For the first time since birth, the boys were close again. Trey and I sat side by side while we held our 2 little miracles... it is a moment we will never forget. One of our nurses tonight said... "I don't know who enjoyed the experience more... Hayden and Ford or you and Trey?" That was sweet music to our ears.

Tomorrow is Valentine's Day and the boys primary nurses have already made them their first Valentine's Cards. They hang above their incubators. I can honestly say this Valentine's Day is filled with more love than I have ever known. I have the love of my life, Trey to spend it with... and the loves of our lives, Ford and Hayden. I hope you are all so blessed this Valentine's Day.

Thank you all for loving us and keeping us in your thoughts and prayers as we go through this long journey... you truly do give us strength. Bless you all!

Dana

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Dana what a wonderful Valentine's Day! It truly blesses me to hear you confess such a beautiful spirit. I pray that you continue to do well and are able to avoid surgery. I remember the first time my daughter kangarooed with her baby girls, (they are now 2 1/2yrs old) it was such a joy to see. I know the days are going to continue to get better.You all are in my daily prayers. Thank you for blessing us all with wonderful news on this Valentine's Day.
Happy Valentine's Day to the Hughey family!God Bless

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you four are doing well. Keep believing and your problems will be taken care of.

AP

Anonymous said...

Happy Ventine's Day to the Hughey/Dixon family!

May you all continue to grow healthy and enjoy the warmth of your babies.

Pam J.

Anonymous said...

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY TO THE HUGHEY FAMILY!!
Congratulations on the latest milestones.
Dana, I hope and pray that your health issues will be resolved without surgery. Please take care of yourself and if possible, take some "Mommy time".
Our prayers continue for your family. God Bless.

Anonymous said...

The four of you look amazing together. I know you feel so blessed. We are continually praying for all of you. Take care of yourselves and thank you again for updating, it is reassuring to hear how amazing our prayers are being answered.

Christa Hagler said...

This brought tears to my eyes. Praise God, for He is good. His mercies are new every morning!

Dana, I hope everything turns out ok for you and you are feeling better soon! Enjoy your first Valentine's with your sweet family.

Anonymous said...

Dana and Trey! Congrats on holding you little ones. Your strength is helping them everyday. Keep up the good work. Remember, take care of yourselves so you can be there to take care of them! :) God Bless!

Anonymous said...

BY FAR THE BEST UPDATE YET!! i am so happy to hear the boys are doing so well. i say a prayer for you all everyday.... reading your posts is also helping me have hope in my life and realize what is important. GOD bless all of you. Happy Valentine's Day!

Kim McCartney

Anonymous said...

You all have been in my thoughts and prayers since I heard your story a month ago. This morning, that picture compelled me to post because it is amazing to see miracles and lives being transformed right in front of your eyes. I pray that God brings peace to your hearts and continues giving you all the strength necessary to be at the hospital day in and day out. You all will continue to be in my prayers. I wish nothing but the best for your family and hope you have a marvelous Valentine's Day!

Meridith (Patterson) Hayes

Anonymous said...

Dana and Trey, What a Valentine Gift! holing and snuggling your little babies. I knew these little one's would be just fine. I really felt a comfort when I said many (and still saying) prayer's for all of you. What a blessing it is to see you guy's start to feel some relief.
Bless you all and we will continue to give thanks to our Lord for these little miracles.

Anonymous said...

PS. This news will be the best Valentine I will get for the day!

Teresa T.

Anonymous said...

My daughter turned a month old today and she is truley a bleesing. My prayers are with you and your family. Have a great Valentine's Day

Anonymous said...

I just want you to know that I am praying for you and keeping you in my thoughts and my heart. I was 10 weeks early when I was born and that will be 30 years ago this April. I just know that the boys will do wonderful and will be able to come home soon. Just know that you all are in God's loving care. With love,
Sheree'

Anonymous said...

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!
What a wonderful present - to get to snuggle with Ford and Hayden. I love all the pictures. It makes everyone feel connected when we can't be there with you through this journey. Kiss the boys for us and give your Trey a hug. All the prayers are working! Love y'all - Trey J, Sara & Randall

Anonymous said...

You made me cry!! God is so good The picture of you two sitting side by side holding those precious boys is such a wonderful valentines gift.

May you feel better also, Dana. Take Good Care of Ford & Hayden's Mommy.

May God Continue to Bless You All Four <><

Unknown said...

Happy Valentines day!!! I loved the pictures and it is priceless! I have your E-mail address and will write soon. I really want to come see the boys and you two of course! Have a great day and sorry I missed you at the hospital! Try not to be the patient again okay!

In Christ,
Nicole

Anonymous said...

You might have already been given this website but it is extremely inspirational. I remember when their twins were born and I signed up for the 3 am praying time. :-) If you have a chance please visit their website. Their twins were born in Longview at Good Shepard. They have been blogging about since they were born and please be sure to read the most recent posts. I will be praying for your twins just like I prayed for theirs :-)



http://thephillipsphamily.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2007-04-12T21%3A59%3A00-05%3A00&max-results=50

Anonymous said...

Pictures speak a thousand word and y'all are truly blessed. Y'all have a beautiful family. Dana I was sorry to hear that you had a set back, I hope that you are back to your old self. The boys need there family. Take it easy and know that GOD is GOD and he is still on the Throne and is watching over you all. May God Bless and keep you all together and grow stronger with each day..

Anonymous said...

Hughey Family,

I cannot begin to describe to you how touched I am by your story. And to read your experiences in the NICU takes me back just over a year ago when my daughter was born at 29 weeks. (She was born 1/5/07) Just thinking about it brings tears to my eyes. The uncertainty, the guilt of leaving the hospital while your baby can't, emotions I know too well.

Your family is my prayers daily! You have two very precious gifts from above and Ford and Hayden are blessed to have wonderful, loving parents such as you two

God Bless,
Erik, Hollie, and Maddie Freeman

Anonymous said...

Yea Ford and Hayden!!! Keep it up big boys... your aunt can't wait to hold you! God is truly great!

I love you all, Bubs, Dana, Ford and Hayden!
Aunt Gigs

Anonymous said...

We hope your weekend is filled with joy & laughter!

Med & Gray

Anonymous said...

All four of you continue to be in our prayers.

-Cody Lillich

Anonymous said...

Dana and Trey,
This is Molly from KLTV. I'm so happy to hear things are going well with the boys. Dana, I hope you are feeling better. We miss you so much and can't wait for you to come back. More importantly, we can't wait for you to bring your two little ones by :). Almost everyday a viewer stops me, or e-mails me asking how you are doing. You are so loved Dana, so please know you are not alone. We are all thinking of you, and of course wish you the best. I'm praying for you.
- Molly Reuter

Anonymous said...

Still praying for you!

Anonymous said...

Dana,
I just want to say that you all look so beautiful together! I am a twin and we were born several weeks early. We weighed 2 lbs.and had a host of problems. After 3 months in the hospital we had gotten well enough to go home.My mom keeps up with your story faithfully and she told me to tell you that she has two walking miracles and she knows that you do too.(And that was almost 30 yrs.ago) Technology has advanced so much since then.I've heard that twins have a way of comforting each other in a way that only they can do.
With much faith,
Penny

Anonymous said...

Children are a true gift from God! May he continue to send blessing your way!

Picture Worth A Thousand Words

Picture Worth A Thousand Words

Proud Parents

Proud Parents

Proud Mommy

Proud Mommy

Proud Papa

Proud Papa

Pics of Ford

Pics of Ford

Pics of Hayden

Pics of Hayden